> Pilgrimages by Districts
> Andhra Pradesh - Kurnool district
Pilgrimages of Andhra Pradesh - Kurnool district
Ahobilam at Sesha Parvata:
- Thiru Singavel Kundram Divya Desam: Ahobilam is one of the 108 Divya Desams known as Thiru Singavel Kundram Divya Desam.
(Refer to the list of Divya Desams)
- Sesha Parvata: Ahobilam is located on the Nallamalai mountain ranges on the part known as Sesha Parvata (South of river Krishna to Tirupati). Sesha Parvata is visualized in the form of Adi Sesha whose head is at Tirupati (Venkatadri), whose middle part is at Ahobilam (Vedagiri and Garudagiri) and whose tail is at Srisailam (Sringiri).
- Nava Narasimha: Ahobilam is the main shrine and there are nine other Narasimha shrines close by. They are known as Nava Narasimhas - Prahlada Varada Narasimha, Chatrata Narasimha, Garuda Narasimha, Yoga Narasimha, Ugra Narasimha, Krodha Narasimha, Malola Narasimha, Jwala Narasimha and Lakshmi Narasimha.
- Great Cave: The shrine of Ahobilam, the main shrine is located between the hills Vedadri and Garudadri in a reserved forest. The image of Lord Narasimha is in sitting posture with matted hairs. A rivulet known as Bhavanasi runs close to the temple. Ahobilam means the "Great Cave". It is believed that there is a cave with Swayambhu Narasimha under the main shrine.
- Killing of Hiranyakashipu: The shrine of Jwala Narasimha is the place where it is believed that Lord Vishnu manifested in the ferocious form of Narasimha Avatara and killed demon Hiranyakashipu.
- Ahobilam is located in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh.
The Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga is situated in the Krauncha mountain. Shiva and Parvati, out of their love for Son Kumara came to the Krauncha mountain to see him. Both of them took the form of Jyoti and stayed in the mountain..
(from Shiva Purana, Koti-Rudra Samhita - Ch 15)
The Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga is identified with Srisailam Mallikarjuna temple in Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh in the Nallamalai Hills. Srisailam is located on the banks of river Patalaganga (Krishna).
For more details refer to Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga from Shiva Purana.
Devi Mahalakshmi at Srishaila Shakti Peetha:
Devi's Griva (Neck) fell at Srishaila where She is known as Mahalakshmi and the Bhairava is called Sambarananda.
(from Peetha Nirnaya texts)
The Srishaila Shakti Peetha is identified with the Mallikarjuna Jyotirlinga temple at Srishailam in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. The Shakti Peetha is located within the temple complex. Srishailam is located on the top of Nallamalai Hills.
Bharatavarsha - The Land of Gods and Sages:
1. Stotras by Deity:
Initial: Ganesha -
Tridevas: Brahma - (Vishnu -
Tridevis: Saraswati -
(Lakshmi - Tulasi - Bhoomi) -
Others: Murugan -
Final: Vedas -
2. Spiritual Realization: Spiritual Realization
3. Incarnations & Saints: Incarnations - Rishis - Saints
4. Sacred Geography:
River Sangams -
6. Religious Life:
7. Other Aspects:
Arts - Music - Dance - Medicine - Architecture - Astronomy