> Pilgrimages by Districts
> Andhra Pradesh - Vishakhapatnam district
Pilgrimages of Andhra Pradesh - Vishakhapatnam district
- Simhachalam (Famous pilgrimage of Narasimha)
- Famous pilgrimage of Varaha-Narasimha: Simhachalam is located on a hillock 18 km from Vishakhapatnam. According to legend, demon Hiranyakashipu tried to kill Prahlada by throwing him from the top of the mountain into the sea. It is also said that Hiranyakashipu tried to kill Prahlada by placing the hill over him. Lord Vishnu saved His ardent devotee. Hiranyakashipu was later killed by Lord Vishnu in the fierce form of Narasimha. Prahlada requested the Lord to show him both his Varaha and Narasimha avatara forms and abide in the hill. Lord Vishnu abided there as Varaha-Narasimha, the combined forms of Varaha and Narasimha.
go to top
- The Lord assumed very fierce forms while killing the demons during both his Varaha and Narasimha incarnations. Therefore the image of Varaha-Narasimha is always covered with sandal paste except for a single day when the original form is revealed to the devotees. The day is the third day of Vaisakha (Akshaya Tritiya) during Apr-May, when the sandal paste is removed in a ritual called Chandana Visarjana.
- Simhachalam is located in the Vishakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh.
Bharatavarsha - The Land of Gods and Sages:
1. Stotras by Deity:
Initial: Ganesha -
Tridevas: Brahma - (Vishnu -
Tridevis: Saraswati -
(Lakshmi - Tulasi - Bhoomi) -
Others: Murugan -
Final: Vedas -
2. Spiritual Realization: Spiritual Realization
3. Incarnations & Saints: Incarnations - Rishis - Saints
4. Sacred Geography:
River Sangams -
6. Religious Life:
7. Other Aspects:
Arts - Music - Dance - Medicine - Architecture - Astronomy