> Pilgrimages by Districts
> Himachal Pradesh - Kullu district
Pilgrimages of Himachal Pradesh - Kullu district
Manikaran in Parvati Valley of Himachal Himalayas:
- A famous pilgrimage of Shiva-Parvati in Parvati Valley of Himachal Himalayas: Manikaran is a famous pilgrimage located in the Parvati Valley of Himachal Himalayas between the rivers Beas and Parvati northeast of Bhuntur at an altitude of 1760 m. It is 45 km from Kullu.
- Legend of Shiva and Parvati: According to legend, once Lord Shiva and Devi Parvati were wandering in the forests of the Himalayas. They came to a beautiful place where the high mountains locked lush green forests within them. They were charmed by that place and lived there for eleven hundred years. Once when Shiva-Parvati were resting beside the beautiful waters of a stream, a jewel (mani) from the ear-ring of Devi Parvati dropped somewhere and got lost. She was highly distressed. The jewel could not be found even after a thorough search by the attendants of the Lord. Lord Shiva was enraged and his third eye opened. Due to this ominous event, there was commotion in the universe. The serpent god Shesh Nag was deputed to subside the anger of the Lord. Shesh Nag went there and hissed repeatedly. The streams became hot and water started boiling. From inside the boiling water came out a number of precious stones of the type of the mani of Devi Parvati. Shiva was pacified.
- Hot springs and temples: Manikaran is famous for its many hot springs which are considered very auspicious. The place has a very old Shiva temple which got tilted during the earthquake of 1905. There is also a famous temple of Lord Raghunath in Manikaran village, the idol of which is said to be brought from Ayodhya.
- Manikaran is located in the Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh.
Bharatavarsha - The Land of Gods and Sages:
1. Stotras by Deity:
Initial: Ganesha -
Tridevas: Brahma - (Vishnu -
Tridevis: Saraswati -
(Lakshmi - Tulasi - Bhoomi) -
Others: Murugan -
Final: Vedas -
2. Spiritual Realization: Spiritual Realization
3. Incarnations & Saints: Incarnations - Rishis - Saints
4. Sacred Geography:
River Sangams -
6. Religious Life:
7. Other Aspects:
Arts - Music - Dance - Medicine - Architecture - Astronomy