> Pilgrimages by Districts
> Himachal Pradesh - Una district
Pilgrimages of Himachal Pradesh - Una district
Chintpurni Devi Temple in Chhaproh village of Himachal Himalayas:
- A famous temple of Devi in the Chhaproh village of Himachal Himalayas: Chintpurni Devi Temple is located in the Chhaproh village of Himachal Himalayas. The shrine is said to be built by Bhakta Mai Das several generations ago.
- Legend of Bhakta Mai Das: Chintpurni Devi Temple is associated with the legend of Bhakta Mai Das. According to this legend, Bhakta Mai Das built the shrine of Mata Chintpurni Devi in Chhaproh village several generations ago. Mai Das was an ardent devotee of Goddess Durga. He had two brothers. They did not like him very much due to his neglect of worldly affairs and spending time in bhajans and kirtans. But his father being a great devotee of Devi Durga supplied his worldly necessities. However, after the death of his father, the brothers refused to support him. Mai Das had to face great difficulties. But his devotion and belief on Mother Durga was steadfast. He believed that Mother Durga removes the difficulties of Her sincere devotees.
Once Mai Das was travelling to his in-laws place. He was tired and sat down to rest under a banyan tree inside a dense forest. He slept and in dream saw a luminous, beautiful young girl. She told Mai Das to stay in that place and serve Her. Mai Das woke up with a start and looked around, but could not see anyone. He thought whether it was the command of Devi Herself but could not find further clue at that time. He hurriedly visited the in-laws's place, all the time thinking of the dream.
On his way back, he again sat down under that banyan tree. He intensely prayed to Mother Durga to remove his doubts (chinta). Mother Durga appeared before him in Chaturbhuj form sitting on a lion. Mai Das fell at Her feet and asked for Her command. The Devi said that She has been living in that place for many years and now She will appear as a pindi under a tree. Mai Das should spend his life performing Her worship. Devi Durga pointed a source of fresh water on the northern slope of the hill to subsist in that place.
The Devi said that in the past, She has been known as Chhinnamastika. But from now people will call Her as Chintpurni because She has removed all his doubts and worries. The devotees will arrange to build a temple here and their offerings will be sufficient for him and his descendants. The Goddess gave him Her mantras, a few instructions and disappeared.
Bhakta Mai Das built a small hut for himself near the water tank and began regular worship of Devi's pindi at the hill-top. Later on, the devotees built a temple there. The samadhi of Mai Das is located near the eastern side of the water tank. Twenty six generations have passed, but his descendants have uninterruptedly continued to worship the Devi in this place.
- The Chintpurni Devi temple is located in the Una district of Himachal Pradesh.
Bharatavarsha - The Land of Gods and Sages:
1. Stotras by Deity:
Initial: Ganesha -
Tridevas: Brahma - (Vishnu -
Tridevis: Saraswati -
(Lakshmi - Tulasi - Bhoomi) -
Others: Murugan -
Final: Vedas -
2. Spiritual Realization: Spiritual Realization
3. Incarnations & Saints: Incarnations - Rishis - Saints
4. Sacred Geography:
River Sangams -
6. Religious Life:
7. Other Aspects:
Arts - Music - Dance - Medicine - Architecture - Astronomy