> Pilgrimages by Districts
> Kerala - Pathanamthitta district
Pilgrimages of Kerala - Pathanamthitta district
- Aranmula (Divya Desam)
- Sabarimala (Famous pilgrimage of Ayyappan)
Thiruvaaran Vilai Divya Desam (Aranmula) - Sri Parthasarathy Perumal Temple:
According to legend, the Pandavas after making Parikshit the king of Hastinapura set put for an extensive pigrimage. During this time Arjuna installed the idol of Parthasarathy at Nilackal. Later it was shifted to Aranmula in a raft constructed with six bamboo poles. In Malayalam "six bamboos" is called Aranmula, and hence the name of the village.
go to top
The God is Sri Parthasarathy Perumal.
The Thiruvaaran Vilai Divya Desam is located in the Pathanamthitta district of Kerala.
Ayyappa of Sabarimala:
- Famous pilgrimage of Ayyappa: Sabarimala is associated with the legend of Ayyappa, also called Sasta. According to this legend, Sasta was born out of the union of Lord Shiva and the Mohini Avatara of Lord Vishnu. Hence he is called Hariharaputra. The king of Pandalam found the beautiful child on the banks of river Pampa. Since the king had no issues, he adopted the child as his son. The boy mastered all arts and sciences quickly. He wore a blue diamond around his neck, so was called Manikanta. Sometime later a child was born to the king, but the king decided to make Ayyappa as the heir apparent. The queen wanted her own son to become the king. So she hatched a plot to eliminate Ayyappa. She feigned serious illness. The royal physician who was an accomplice in the plot prescribed the milk of a tigress as a cure.
go to top
Ayyappa set out to secure the milk of a tigress. He went to the forest carrying on his head a bundle with coconut and other items. In the forest He met Indra who was harassed by demoness Mahishi. The demoness obtained a boon from Lord Brahma that only the son of Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu can kill him. At the request of Indra, Ayyappa killed the demoness. Indra in turn directed his followers to take the form of tigers and tigresses and follow Ayyappa. When Ayyappa returned to the palace with tiger's milk and a group of tigers, the queen was frightened and understood the greatness of Ayyappa. Ayyappa revealed to the king that He was Dharma Sastha who have come to establish Dharma in the world. The king constructed a temple of Ayyappa and started the custom of pilgrimage to Sabarimala.
- Sabarimala is located in the Pathanamthitta district of Maharashtra.
Bharatavarsha - The Land of Gods and Sages:
1. Stotras by Deity:
Initial: Ganesha -
Tridevas: Brahma - (Vishnu -
Tridevis: Saraswati -
(Lakshmi - Tulasi - Bhoomi) -
Others: Murugan -
Final: Vedas -
2. Spiritual Realization: Spiritual Realization
3. Incarnations & Saints: Incarnations - Rishis - Saints
4. Sacred Geography:
River Sangams -
6. Religious Life:
7. Other Aspects:
Arts - Music - Dance - Medicine - Architecture - Astronomy