> Pilgrimages by Districts
> Orissa - Puri district
Pilgrimages of Orissa - Puri district
- Purushottama Kshetra (Puri) (All India Char Dham)
- Viraja Kshetra Shakti Peetha (Shakti Peetha)
- Konark (Famous Sun Temple)
Puri (Purushottama Kshetra):
- Purushottama Kshetra Mahatmya: Puri is a Jagannath Kshetra known by the ancient name of Purushottama Kshetra. It is described in the Skanda Purana - Purushottama Kshetra Mahatmya.Refer to excerpts from Purushottama Kshetra Mahatmya.
go to top
- Shakti Peetha: Puri is one of the 51 Shakti Peethas known as Viraja Kshetra Shakti Peetha.
(Refer to the list of Shakti Peethas - Refer to Shakti Peetha Stotram)
- All India Char Dham: Puri is one of the 4 All India Char Dhams.
(All India Char Dhams are: Badrinath, Dwarka, Puri, Rameshwaram)
- Purushottama Kshetra is located in the Puri district of Odisha.
Devi Vimala at Viraja Kshetra (Utkala) Shakti Peetha:
Devi's Nabhi (Navel) fell at Utkala where She is known as Vimala and the Bhairava is called Jagannatha.
go to top
(from Peetha Nirnaya texts)
The Viraja Kshetra Shakti Peetha at Utkala is identified with Puri Jagannath temple located in the Puri district of Orissa. The Shakti Peetha is located within the Jagannatha temple complex.
- Famous pilgrimage of Sun God: Konark is associated with the legend of Samba. According to this legend, Samba the son of Sri Krishna and Jambavati was cursed by rishi Durvasa as a result of which he became a leper. Samba appealed to his father Sri Krishna who advised him to go to forest Mittra Vana on the banks of river Chandrabhaga and worship the Sun God. Samba went there and practised penance for many years. The Sun God was pleased, appeared before him and told him to ask for a boon. Samba asked for the cure of his disease. The Sun God granted the boon and Samba regained his handsome form. Samba asked for the second boon that whenever he prayed to the Sun, He should appear before him. The Sun God told him about an image of His lying in river Chandrabhaga. He told Samba to take it out and worship it. Samba was overjoyed to find the image of the Sun God. He took it out and built a temple to worship it. Samba asked the priest of Ugrasen, the king of Mittra to perform the daily worship rituals in the temple. The priest did not agree. Samba was then forced to invite the Magha priests from Sakadwipa to perform the daily worship in the temple.
go to top
- Konark Sun Temple is located in the Puri district of Odisha.
Bharatavarsha - The Land of Gods and Sages:
1. Stotras by Deity:
Initial: Ganesha -
Tridevas: Brahma - (Vishnu -
Tridevis: Saraswati -
(Lakshmi - Tulasi - Bhoomi) -
Others: Murugan -
Final: Vedas -
2. Spiritual Realization: Spiritual Realization
3. Incarnations & Saints: Incarnations - Rishis - Saints
4. Sacred Geography:
River Sangams -
6. Religious Life:
7. Other Aspects:
Arts - Music - Dance - Medicine - Architecture - Astronomy