> Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
> December 1882: Master at Dakshineswar
Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna: December 1882: Master at Dakshineswar
Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa
It was afternoon. The Master was sitting in his room at Dakshineswar with M. and one or two other devotees. Several Marwari devotees arrived and saluted the Master. They requested Sri Ramakrishna to give them spiritual instruction. He smiled.
MASTER (to the Marwari devotees): "You see, the feeling of 'I' and 'mine' is the result of ignorance. But to say, 'O God, Thou art the Doer; all these belong to Thee' is the sign of Knowledge. How can you say such a thing as 'mine'? The superintendent of the garden says, 'This is my garden.' But if he is dismissed because of some misconduct, then he does not have the courage to take away even such a worthless thing as his mango-wood box. Anger and lust cannot be destroyed. Turn them toward God. If you must feel desire and temptation, then desire to realize God, feel tempted by Him. Discriminate and turn the passions away from worldly objects. When the elephant is about to devour a plaintain-tree in someone's garden, the mahut strikes it with his iron-tipped goad. "You are merchants. You know how to improve your business gradually. Some of you start with a castor-oil factory. After making some money at that, you open a cloth shop. In the same way, one makes progress toward God. It may be that you go into solitude, now and then, and devote more time to prayer. "But you must remember that nothing can be achieved except in its proper time. Some persons must pass through many experiences and perform many worldly duties before they can turn their attention to God; so they have to wait a long time.
If an abscess is lanced before it is soft, the result is not good; the surgeon makes the opening when it is soft and has come to a head. Once a child said to its mother: 'Mother, I am going to sleep now. Please wake me up when I feel the call of nature.' 'My child,' said the mother, 'when it is time for that, you will wake up yourself. I shan't have to wake you.' "
The Marwari devotees generally brought offerings of fruit, candy, and other sweets for the Master. But Sri Ramakrishna could hardly eat them. He would say: "They earn their money by falsehood. I can't eat their offerings." He said to the Marwaris: "You see, one can't strictly adhere to truth in business. There are ups and downs in business. Nanak once said, 'I was about to eat the food of unholy people, when I found it stained with blood.' A man should offer only pure things to holy men. He shouldn't give them food earned by dishonest means. God is realized by following the path of truth. One should always chant His name. Even while one is performing one's duties, the mind should be left with God. Suppose I have a carbuncle on my back. I perform my duties, but the mind is drawn to the carbuncle.
It is good to repeat the name of Rama. 'The same Rama who was the son of King Dasaratha has created this world. Again, as Spirit, He pervades all beings. He is very near us; He is both within and without.' "
Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna - Chapters:
- Feb, 1882: First visit of M to the Master
- 1882: Second visit of M to the Master
- 1882: Third Visit of M to the Master
- 1882: Fourth Visit of M to the Master
- Mar 11, 1882: Master in the house of Balaram
- 1882: Visit of M at Dakshineswar
- Apr 2, 1882: Master's visit to Keshab
- Sun, Apr 9, 1882: Master in Prankrishna Mukherji's house
- Aug 5, 1882: Master's visit to Vidyasagar
- Aug 13, 1882: Conversation in the Temple Garden
- Aug 24, 1882: Conversation in Dakshineswar
- Oct 16, 1882: Before Durga Puja
- Oct 22, 1882: Durga Puja Vijaya
- Oct 24, 1882: Visit of M at Dakshineswar
- October 27, 1882: Master's boat trip with Keshab
- October 28, 1882: Master with brahmo devotees
- November 15, 1882: Master at the circus
- November 16, 1882: Master at Calcutta
- November 19, 1882: Jagaddhatri Puja
- November, 1882: Master at Calcutta
- December 1882: Master at Dakshineswar
- December 1882: Master at Dakshineswar
- December 14, 1882: Master and Vijay Goswami
- January 01, 1883: Master at Dakshineswar
- February 18, 1883: Master's birthday celebration at Dakshineswar