> Chennai Temples
> Thiruvanmiyur Marundeeswarar Temple
Marundeeswarar Temple, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai (மருந்தீசவரர்)
The Marundeeswarar Temple
is located near the Thiruvanmiyur bus terminus, Chennai.
The Marundeeswarar Temple is dedicated to Sri Shiva as Marundeeswarar
and Divine Mother Shakti as Tripurasundari
. The Sthala Vriksham of this temple is Vanni.
A Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam:
The famous Marundeeswarar Temple at Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai, in Tamil Nadu is a Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam. Thirugyanasambandar and Thirunavukkarasar have sung devotional hymns on the Lord here.
Lord Shiva here as Marundeeswarar is said to be a divine physician who taught sage Agastya about medicinal herbs.
According to another legend, Kamadhenu the celestial cow worshipped Lord Shiva here to get rid of a curse by sage Vashistha. Everyday she used to offer her milk to the Lord. One day when some king's men tried to capture her, she trying to escape accidentally hit the Lingam with her hooves. The Lingam even today bear the hoof marks and the Lord came to be known as Palvannathar. The Lord released Kamadhenu from her curse and blessed her.
Sage Valmiki is also said to have worshipped the Lord here and according to his wish permanently abided here. The place came to be known as Thiruvanmiyur.
Shrines and Deities:
- Sri Shiva as Marundeeswarar (மருந்தீசவரர்)
- Devi as Tripurasundari Amman (திரிபுரசுந்தரி அம்மன்)
- Sri Kalabhairavar (காலபைரவர்)
- Sri Sundareswarar (சுந்தரேஸ்வரர்)
- Sri Dakshinamurthy (தட்சிணாமூர்த்தி)
- Sri Kedareswarar (கேதாரிஸ்வரர்)
- Sri Ramanathaswarar (இராமநாதஸ்வரர்)
Pancha Bootha Sthalams:
- Sri Arunachaleshwarar (அருணாஜலெஸ்வரர்)
- Sri Jambukeshwarar (ஜம்புகேஸ்வரர்)
- Sri Natarajar (நடராஜர்)
Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam:
- Sri Thyagaraja Swami (தீயாகராஜச்வாமீ)
- Sri Gajalakshmi (கஜலட்ச்மி)
- Sri Durgai (துர்கை)
- Sri Unnamalai Ammai (உண்ணாமலை யம்மை)
Pictures of Devi:
- Devi Lalitambika (லலீதாம்பிகா)
- Devi Tripurasundari Amman (திரிபுரசுந்தரி அம்மன்)
- Devi Sukkirvar Amman (சுக்கிரவார அம்மன்)
- Sri Ganapati (கணபதி)
- Sri Vinayagar (விநாயகர்)
- Sri Vijayaganapati (விஜயகணபதி)
- Sri Valli , Selva Muttukumaraswamy , Deivanai (வள்ளி , செல்வ முத்துகுமாரச்வாமி , தெய்வயானை)
- Sri Kumarastavam (குமாரஸ்தவம்)
- Arunagirinathar (அருணகிரிநாதர்)
- Candikeshwarar (சண்டிகெஸ்வரர்)
- Snake gods (Naga Devatas) under tree
Find Temples in Chennai by Locations:
Find Temples in Chennai by Deity Names:
Find Ashrams, Mutts and Temples related to Saints in Chennai:
Find Famous and Special Temples in Chennai:
Chart Temple Routes by referring to Chennai Bus Routes:
Chennai Bus Routes